arcademonitor.com
choosing a monitor
Tron monitor problem - blue screen
Posted: Feb-13-2013 11:42 AM

It's a K4906. I’ve had it for about 5 months and it’s been great! No issues at all, . . . until about 2 weeks ago. Over about 2 days the screen progressively got worse until it is now always blue. During the 2 days it would flicker between a perfect screen and the blue screen. When it’s in the blue screen, it otherwise operates just fine. If you try to play it, the screen turns different colors for four of the 4 games. When on the spider game, the spiders and Tron are normal but the rest of the screen is wrong. On the tanks, the screen is all there but there is a heavy pink hue. I thought at first this was a color issue but since some aspects of some screens have the correct colors, I’m guessing it’s something else.

Don’t say a cap kit, just did that last night and nothing changed. Also, it occasionally flashes back to a perfect normal screen for just a second or two. I’ve wiggled every wire and loosened and reconnected every connector to no avail.

Any ideas????

Posted: Feb-13-2013 4:15 PM

Just did a close visual inspection of every board. Only found one questionable item, not sure what it is or does. Hope you can see it in the pic, it's in the center of the pic and has a little discoloring on one end that transfers to the board.

Click on the image to zoom in
Posted: Feb-13-2013 4:36 PM

Ok. I see now its a diode. Set my meter to the little diode symbol and check it and most of the others on the board. The results were consistently inconsistent. It measured at -.000 like many of the others. Can these even be properly checked while on the board?

Posted: Feb-14-2013 1:01 AM

If the monitor is turing blue check out this video on Youtube by Randy Fromm and start it at 38 minutes, he has a trick on how to fix maybe what you are talking about.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdsWGqVfGG0[/url]

If you think its caused by the game try pushing on all the microchips too, maybe you have a loose one.

You could make a short youtube video so I could see if it's a monitor or game problem.

ArcadeMonitor.com helping people fix arcade monitors and great products.

Posted: Feb-14-2013 3:27 PM

I actually watched the whole video, good stuff! When I had the main boards out I unplugged and replugged the ribbon cables. I then put the boards back in today. Now all I get is a blank, (gray) screen. I've wiggled all the cables some more and still nothing, just blank, doesn't even try to flash any colors.

I went ahead and checked the color transistors and they appear to be Ok. I checked voltage to the color transistors and they were all the same.

Now I'm wondering if it's something in the boards???

I'm going to take my boards and monitor to Ricks Game Repair outside Chicago tomorrow, I'll post what he finds out . . .

Posted: Feb-16-2013 3:49 PM

Ricky's game repair checked my boards and monitor and found they are good. Rick suggested changing my power supply, thinking that the voltage to the system was "off". He sold me a MCR power adaptor and a switching power supply.

Hooked everything back up with the new power supply, set it to 5.01v and just like magic! Tron lives again! My picture is better than its ever been, probably from the cap kit.

Posted: Feb-17-2013 4:01 PM

That is awesome! I wish I had a game repair guy that close! I forget about the power supple but it probably is the 2nd highest failing part in an arcade game, monitor being the first. haha Well it's good to hear that it is working again!

ArcadeMonitor.com helping people fix arcade monitors and great products.

sign in to post reply