arcademonitor.com
choosing a monitor
Area 51 monitor collapsed into single bright point
Posted: Jul-1-2013 12:24 PM

Just as an intro, I'm extremely new to monitor repair. I'm a trained computer repairman but CRT monitors were not covered in any of that. I know that working with them is dangerous but I also know how to properly discharge them and what not. So on to the question.

Not sure what kind of monitor, the only identifying label is "25'' KTMF-D". I'm assuming the KT is Kortek.

This particular monitor was vertical collapsing every time the screen got too bright. If you know Area 51 the monitor flashes bright white every time the gun fired. So pretty much every time you fired the gun you'd be blind for a second or two while the monitor came back up to normal. It flickered and collapsed if I maxed out the brightness on the flyback so I assumed the flyback was bad. I bought a replacement (Model#: KFS-61088A) that seemed to be a tighter fit, but all the pins lined up so I assumed it was good.

When I plugged the game back in I got no picture, so I turned the brightness up and down. If I max out the brightness, I get a single point/points of light in the center of the monitor. They are working colors of what the game is supposed to be (I assume) because the audio from the attract mode is playing and the colors are in sync with the sounds.

From the back of the monitor however, the heaters don't seem to be lighting up, at least not the usual bright orange glow. They must be working otherwise I wouldn't be getting colored lights on the screen. My guess is that the flyback just isn't supplying enough power for whatever reason. If anyone has any insight that would be great, or at least confirm my "not enough power" theory.

Thanks!

Posted: Jul-5-2013 1:06 PM

Hi Slushpuppie

You have and did have a loss of vertical sweep. Put the old flyback back , it is still good. The new flyback may not be a direct cross and the flyback isn't the problem anyway so go back a step. This is a Sharp Image monitor. Is IC201 a TDA1675?

David S. Velasquez C.E.T.
Head Tech
Games People Play
3250 Gateway Blvd
Prescott, AZ 86303

Posted: Jul-5-2013 1:10 PM

Hey Montech, thanks for replying.

I'm on vacation right now and won't be back at the shop till Monday. I'll check that chip when I get back and respond as soon as I can.

Posted: Jul-8-2013 6:54 AM

IC201 is a TDA1675A, not sure if that A makes a difference.

Posted: Jul-8-2013 12:07 PM

No it doesn't. I was looking for the type of Sharp Image monitor you have. Now that we know which one you can get the schematic from

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Monitors/

Then I would check the voltages around the IC201. More than likely its defective and the caps around it too.
Let me know if I can be of more help.

David S. Velasquez C.E.T.
Head Tech
Games People Play
3250 Gateway Blvd
Prescott, AZ 86303

Posted: Dec-12-2014 5:27 AM

Install a new cap kit from Zannen, then replace the TDA1675A. For about 25 bucks you should have a good monitor again.

Through snow, sleet, and hail we will always deliver our mail... F*** that!

gamesmedic.com |

sign in to post reply