arcademonitor.com
choosing a monitor
ATARI 19" monitor stopped working
Posted: Mar-4-2015 9:31 PM

Hey y'all.
I've got an original '83 ATARI upright DigDug cabinet. It was working fine for quite some time, and then one day i turned it on and.... no picture. The game is still "working" as coins are registered, and movement makes all the right sounds. There's just no picture. So i pulled out the main-board for the monitor and discovered that a 125V 1.25A fuse was blown (F901, i believe). It's not one of the easily replaceable ones, so i'm worried there's something else that caused it to blow. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

See the pictures attached. The red circled fuse is the one that's blown. Everything else looks fine. Board is a model# G07-CBO

Thanks in advance.

Click on the image to zoom in

Posted: Mar-7-2015 6:27 PM

Why not just get some alligator clamps and try connecting a new fuse and see what happens. Fuses blow sometimes probably some weird spike in the power and it did its job and blow the fuse.

ArcadeMonitor.com helping people fix arcade monitors and great products.

Posted: Mar-9-2015 9:54 AM

When that fuse blows, chances are the HOT (Horizontal output transistor) is bad or the flyback as well. It is hard to tell from your photo but that appears to be an original flyback on that chassis. You need to look for cracks, black pinholes etc on the flyback to see if it has gone bad. Have you had an unpleasant odor recently from the game? The HOT will need to be pulled to see if it is bad. Those capacitors look new so they are probably not bad. You can find more info here:

http://therealbobroberts.net/g07repair.html

Posted: Mar-22-2015 11:21 PM

Hey guys. Thank you for your excellent advice. That website link above was incredibly helpful. I did a little bit more looking, and indeed it appeared like there was some potential damage and evidence of charring on the flyback. So ordered a new one off of eBay and replaced it. I pulled the HOT and measured it, and it beeped out fine (no shorts) but i replaced it anyway since i ordered one of those as well, just in case. I popped in a new fuse in F901 and plugged everything back in.

Worked instantly. I'm back in business, baby!

The colors are a bit weird, however, and no matter how much i play with the dials, i can't get it quite like it was before. But it is bright & focused, so i'm a happy camper.

I'm attaching a picture of the old / new flybacks if anyone is curious.

Thanks again!

Posted: Mar-23-2015 8:58 AM

Great job. Yeah, flyback looked bad. The monitor will degauss itself every time it powers up from a "cold" state. Basically once a day when you initially turn it on. If you have swirling in the colors those will eventually disappear. You should be able to put the game in test mode to adjust the color bars etc properly according to the G07 manual which is available on line just about everywhere. Congrats.

sign in to post reply