arcademonitor.com
choosing a monitor
Horizontal hold issue ~ Help!!!
Posted: Nov-15-2014 3:02 PM

Hello,

I recently bought a replacement Pentranic s29a ch-288 chassis on ebay to replace the same chassis i have for my monitor. When it arrived, the neckboard was damaged and I was missing the green so I replaced it with my old neckboard, hooked it up, and voila ~ back in business. Looked great!

I shut it down to start re-assembling it back in my cabinet, and my wife came downstairs to I fired it up to show her the progress. That's when the trouble began. The hold was completely off, and I started playing with the adjustments. After alot of frustration, I finally managed to get a partial picture, but the horizontal hold (or, it could be the vertical) will not settle.

After quite a bit of research, I initially suspected it was the vertical IC, but I eventually settled on the Horizontal IC because that is the only adjustment that allowed me to get a partial picture. Just to be safe, I inspected all the components with a magnifying glass and touched up all the solder points on anything that looked sketchy, as well as the ALL the solder points on both the Horizontal and Vertical IC.

No luck. I then replaced the horizontal IC chip from my old board, and I get the same result.

Would appreciate someone with some monitor repair knowledge to take a look at the youtube video and give me their thoughts. I can replace the vertical IC, but it still feels like it is the horizontal hold to me, as that's the only adjustment that makes even a minor difference.

Note, the video is upside down because the monitor is from a Crisis Zone cabinet and is intentionally inverted.

[youtube]8Cjp6L1lGi8[/youtube]

Posted: Nov-15-2014 7:58 PM

It looks like you don't have the sync hooked up right. Does your chassis have a yellow and white wire for sync? If so you might want to connect them together, or just connect the sync to the white wire or try connecting it to the yellow wire.

ArcadeMonitor.com helping people fix arcade monitors and great products.

Posted: Nov-16-2014 6:32 AM

There a combined, single wire for sync. I'll double check that there isn't an issue with sync from the board.

Posted: Nov-16-2014 9:40 AM

you were right! It was the sync wire. I must have somehow pulled it when moving things around.

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Nov-16-2014 12:52 PM

Awesome! I'm glade that worked!

ArcadeMonitor.com helping people fix arcade monitors and great products.

sign in to post reply