arcademonitor.com
choosing a monitor
Sanyo EZ 20 Monitor problem - Only get horizontal line (have 3 that do the same thing!!!!)
Posted: Feb-27-2013 4:48 PM

I have 2 Sanyo EZ 20 Monitors and now a 3rd one. Each one has the exact same problem; They only have a horizantal line going accross the monitor (these where all from either a Nintendo DK or DK Jr). I have a good working DK Jr board but no working monitor. On the monitor I just pulled, I tried using a new CGA to VGA video adapter only to find it does not work with the nintendo video signal (I even tried one of the inverter boards Nintendo made). 3 or 4 year ago I tried to get one of the two working but had no luck. Now that I have a 3rd one (This is a realy nice DK Jr I restored into a Double DK about 9 years ago) I realy need to figure this out!! The tube is very clean with no burn-in. I'm very good at doing cap kits, fixing wire issues, rewireing games for switching power supply, and things like that. So I know some basic electronics but I don't know how to trouble shoot a board down to the component level. I'm hoping someone can help me out with the process (what voltages levels to check and where etc..). I have the manual and schematics. Back when I tried to make one work, I replaced a few components like the horizontal and vertical drive transisters (after installing a cap kit of course).

I'd also like to know how to convert the Nindendo Video to work on a VGA monitor for testing purposes becuase I have a spare board. (I have one of the New CGA to VGA converter boards but I can't get it to work with this Nintendo board).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Mar-5-2013 7:45 PM

I did some testing and think the problem may be the IC401 chip that controls the virtical outputs and sync. It's a LA1464. I can't seem to find these, anyone know where I can get one?

Posted: Apr-30-2013 12:34 PM

Have you checked vertical output transistors(TR402,TR403)? Which version monitor do you have?
There were RC and RB and RC version 2. But usally vertical outputs when a straight line left to right on tube. Also dont forget to recap.

David S. Velasquez C.E.T.
Head Tech
Games People Play
3250 Gateway Blvd
Prescott, AZ 86303

sign in to post reply