arcademonitor.com
choosing a monitor
Need help identifying this arcade monitor..Thanks
Posted: Dec-7-2014 7:38 PM

Hi all. Noob here tying to figure out just what type of monitor I have in my multi cab. Its a 19" CRT with Hitachi sticker on the back of the tube. I was under the impression that all CRT arcade monitors had a special video connector. This one has a standard VGA connector and can display 800x600 resolutions in windows. For all intent purposes this looks like your everyday arcade monitor open mount, chassis and all but as mentioned capable of displaying higher resolutions than a traditional arcade monitor. Is this just a fancy PC monitor? The images IMO look great and mame is rendering out scanlines that look pretty authentic. I wonder if I can output 15k on this? If I can't do you think this setup is second best from a real arcade monitor? Tri sync maybe? Any help would be great!

Thanks
Nick

Click on the image to zoom in

Posted: Dec-8-2014 3:14 AM

The Hitachi is just the brand of the CRT picture tube. Do you see any model number on the chassis? It might just be a computer monitor, that looks like a power switch on the chassis.

The easiest way to see if the monitor can handle 15k, get a $9 dollar cga to vga adapter and hook a game up and see if you get a picture.

There is a lot of vga arcade games but if you did go with mame that would be awesome!

ArcadeMonitor.com helping people fix arcade monitors and great products.

Posted: Dec-9-2014 10:20 PM

Hey thanks for the response!.. Yea there are no stickers/markings of any kind on the chassis. I think that is a power switch. Maybe if I pull there might be something on the bottom.. Anyway after doing research I highly doubt this thing can pull 15khz. The only monitor I found that seems to resemble in terms of size /resolution and VGA 15 pin connector is the Wells Gardner U3100.. but that doesn't use Hitachi tubes.

Oh well picture is great so no complaints. Just was more curious than anything.

Thanks!

Posted: Dec-10-2014 12:19 AM

That is diffidently some kind of chassis that was designed for some kind of TV or computer monitor! The light and it's to big for the metal frame! You can always get one of those CGA to VGA converter and you can play any arcade game in that cabinet.

ArcadeMonitor.com helping people fix arcade monitors and great products.

sign in to post reply