arcademonitor.com
choosing a monitor
Monitor wont focus/converge, i need help!
Posted: Apr-3-2015 6:45 AM

Hello all, i recently found a 1981 galaxy full size arcade. Ive opened the back and tweeked with all the knobs i could find in order to try and get it in focus/have a clear picture but the best ive been able to do is shown in 1 of my attached pictures. It seems as if what is supposed to be shown on just the top portion of the screen is spread out over the whole screen. I looked in the manual and came across the troubleshooting section refering to focus and convergency and believe this might be my problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Click on the image to zoom in

Posted: Apr-3-2015 10:20 AM

On the flyback is focus and you probably turn the "screen" color up on the flyback, that is why your screen color is so bright. Your screen is spinning so try vert hold.

ArcadeMonitor.com helping people fix arcade monitors and great products.

Posted: Apr-3-2015 10:26 AM

Its not spinning, its just not converging. And its so bright because when i make it dark like its supposed to be all of the text explodes into color pieces. Ill add a pic of the back....

Posted: Apr-3-2015 10:34 AM

I tried vert hold and that makes the image spin so thats not the issue. The issue other than the colors not converging is ive basically got 5 copies of the game showing up on the screen.... im going to try and clean all of the boards and spray out connectors... thanks for reply

Posted: Apr-3-2015 11:02 AM

That is what I was thinking too maybe it's the game lol. The ship doesn't look all the way put together like it should. The monitor might be alright.

Posted: Apr-4-2015 4:52 AM

Ok so i cleaned the game board with mostly alcohol and scratched off the dirt on the connector fingers with no luck. There are some scratches in random places and it looks pretty old so i can understand if theres a bad circuit or something. Ill try cleaning the rest of the boards and connectors and report back with my results. If i cant get the multiple images issue figured out what are my options? Im going to be fixing the cabinet up and probably reselling. Thanks

Posted: Apr-4-2015 4:08 PM

If you can't get it to work why not buy one of those 60 in 1 systems? Their cool and cheap and it would be simple to rewire the cabinet with a jamma harness.

Posted: Apr-4-2015 9:13 PM

To be honest i found this machine on the side of the road. A guy was cleaning house and didnt want it so i got it for free. Like i said im going to make sure the cabinet is sturdy and then probably try and sell it. What would you think i could get out of it? The only hardware issue is what i previously stated and the only cabinet issues are minor. Picture added. Any opinion is appreciated as this is completely new to me.

Posted: Apr-5-2015 1:43 PM

That is a Galaga haha! A 60 in 1 board would cost you $50 and it has galaga on the system. You could easily sell that for $500. Having that Galaga board fixed will cost a lot! The only people that I know that do good work will be http://www.eldoradogames.com/ or http://www.betson.com/ That cabinet looks really nice! Very good find!!!

Posted: Apr-5-2015 5:34 PM

Oh dang i didnt even notice i typed galaxy on the original post! Woops. Its not a normal word i type so i guess i autocorrect it to galaxy lol. Thanks for your help!

Posted: Apr-5-2015 5:51 PM

A guy said he'd give me $2-300 for it not working and $5-600 for it working. He also mentioned it might just need a cap kit but i dont solder. Another guy mentioned that i should just get a cga to vga convertor and try out a diff monitor so i believe thats what im going to do. Itd be nice to actually repory which part is defective so others can learn i guess.

Posted: Apr-5-2015 6:30 PM

Your game is on free play you should hear it playing if you hit the start button. On the Galagas pcb I would just smash down(really hard) on all the socketed microchip and that would work sometimes.

Posted: Apr-6-2015 3:17 PM

Have you tried the to adjust the monitor convergence rings on the actual Tube itself sometimes these need readjusting especially if its been moved around. or it could be the 4 pin inline connector on the Monitor PCB it can be connected in 2 positions for Resolution High or low.
I had this same thing on a cabinet I had bought of an Auction sight,

link of how to adjust: http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2010/08/25/adjusting-the-convergence-rings/

good luck

Posted: Apr-6-2015 3:22 PM

I actually already played with the convergent rings and it did help some with the coloring. I watched some guy do it on youtube where he had rgb split and fixed it with the rings but unfortunately ive got multiple images on top of convergent issues. I will look at the 4 pin connector youre talking about though! Thanks

Posted: Apr-7-2015 1:23 AM

Oh so i had no luck finding this 4 pin connector you spoke of.... somebody else had mentioned i should solder in a new cap kit. Im going to buy one tomorrow if someone on here agrees that it might fix the issue. Let me know what you guys think, thanks

Posted: Apr-8-2015 4:38 PM

galaga turns the tube 90 degrees so what you are calling verticle is actualy the horizontal axis of the tube. adjust h hold to see if you can get it to float. you seem to have lost horizontal sync

Posted: Apr-8-2015 5:23 PM

I tried all of the knobs and the picture i posted previously is as legible as i could get the image. Im going to pull the monitor out to fix the cabinet up and then pull whatever board is needed for the cap kit. Any othet suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks

sign in to post reply